Tanzania Medical Students’ Association (TAMSA) is a sole National Organization for medical Students. It is a professional organization that assembles all the medical students at national level under a common umbrella with the purpose of promoting both excellent medical training as well as the medical students‟ efforts in health education, promotion for betterment of our community.
It was inaugurated in 1990s having originated from the Dar es Salaam Medical Students Association (DMSA) which was established in 1968. TAMSA unifies Medical Students from 8 Medical Schools founded in Tanzania. The following chapters are recognized by TAMSA:
- Muhimbili University of Health and allied Sciences (MUHAS)
- Hubert Kairuki Memorial University (HKMU)
- International Medical Technology University (IMTU)
- Catholic University of Health and Allied Sciences- Bugando (CUHAS)
- Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC)
- University of Dodoma College of Health and Allied Sciences (UDOM-CHAS)
- St. Francis University College of Health Sciences- Ifakara (SFUCHAS)
- Archbishop James University Collage (AJUCO) (candidate member) And KAM college as associate member.
- St. Josephs University of Health Sciences (candidate member)
- Kampala International University (KIU) (candidate member)
- University of Dar es Salaam (candidate member)
The general Secretariat of TAMSA is currently located at the Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS).
An association where all medical students work together for better national and global health and are equipped with knowledge, skills and values to serve as responsible future physicians and health leaders
To prepare and practically equip medical students in identifying and solving the major health challenges through scientific and professional approach.
TAMSA works under six standing committees (1. Human Rights and Peace 2. Public Health 3. Reproductive Health with HIV/AIDS 4. Research Exchange 5. Medical Education 6. Professional Exchange) and three supporting divisions (1. Publications and Information 2. Training 3. Projects)
TAMSA is an active member of the International Federation for Medical Students Associations (IFMSA); IFMSA is affiliated to the United Nations system as a non - political and nongovernmental organization, and is recognized by the World Health Organization as an official International forum for Medical Students.
When we joined the IFMSA community, we saw amazing people, crossing impossible odds just to get to a forum and discuss with other people about matter that made people’s lives better, it felt real and momentous.
On that note, it has been on top of our dream ladder to bring that forum to our country and our mother land, Tanzania. That dream is not far from sight now. We have all it takes and an amazing team with great passion to turn this dream of an East African NMO into reality. Tanzanians are committed to serve IFMSA strongly more than ever, and an extended hand of service deserves nothing but an extended hand of acceptance regardless of the odds and distance, that is the essence of unity, diversity and most of all the strength of bringing peoples voices on one podium. “karibuni Tanzania”